Howard’s upset of UNLV is biggest in HBCU football history
A $100 bet for Howard to win paid out $55,000
In his first college game, Newton led Howard University to a 43-40 upset win over UNLV on Saturday night in Las Vegas. Newton ran for 190 yards and two touchdowns and passed for 140 yards and another TD against the Rebels.
Newton, at 5-foot-11, 195 pounds, is the younger brother of Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton and former NFL center Cecil Newton Jr. He threw for 3,322 yards and 33 touchdowns and ran for 1,000-plus yards and 13 TDs during his senior year at Grady High School in Atlanta.
Howard’s upset of UNLV is considered one of the biggest ever in college football, and it is, for sure, Howard’s most notable.
Howard vs Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) opponents Past three seasons
2017: UNLV – Won 43-40
2016: Rutgers – Lost 52-14
2016: Maryland – Lost 52-13
2015: Boston College – Lost 76-0
2015: Appalachian State – Lost 49-0
The Howard-UNLV game mattered because:
- Per Westgate Las Vegas Resort & Casino, this was the largest upset vs spread EVER
- A $100 bet on Howard to win outright vs UNLV paid out $55,000
- Saturday’s win was the second Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) upset over a Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) team by a historically black college or university already this season. Tennessee State beat Georgia State 17-10 on Aug. 31.
- It was Howard’s first win in a season opener in more than a decade.
- Howard will face another FBS opponent this week at Kent State.
- Other notable HBCU upsets last weekend: Albany State over Valdosta State and Virginia State over Norfolk State.
- Of the matchups between HBCUs and FBS teams this week, Alcorn State has the best FPI chance to win (14.1% at FIU) of any. Howard has a 4.1% chance of pulling off the upset for the second straight week.
Largest Football Power Index (FPI) upsets last 10 seasons
Sat. Howard 1.2% UNLV
Sat. Liberty 2.2% Baylor
2016 South Alabama 2.3% Mississippi St.
2013 Eastern Washington 2.4% Oregon St.
2015 Portland St. 2.4% Washington St.
FPI percentage chance to win – HBCUs vs FBS teams this week
Alcorn State at FIU 14.1
Southern at Southern Miss 5.8
Howard at Kent State 4.1
Alabama State at Troy 1.0
Arkansas Pine-Bluff at Akron 0.5
Savannah State at Appalachian State 0.3
Alabama A&M at Vanderbilt 0.2
Notable upsets by HBCUs
2013 and ’14: Bethune-Cookman beats FBS team Florida International in back-to-back seasons.
ESPN Stats & Info contributed to this report.
ESPN Football Power Index – 2017 The Football Power Index (FPI) is a measure of team strength that is meant to be the best predictor of a team’s performance going forward for the rest of the season. FPI represents how many points above or below average a team is. Projected results are based on 10,000 simulations of the rest of the season using FPI, results to date, and the remaining schedule. Ratings and projections update daily.